After having some time off in Term 1, I am pleased to be back in my role as Principal of the College. It has been fantastic to reconnect with our programs and our staff and students. I thanks Ms Cass Cole for her leadership of the College during my absence, and the staff
It has been a busy term so far! Here are some of the highlights:
- Improving the College grounds for our students is always something we are thinking about. In the coming weeks we will be installing more seating for students, and providing more bins to keep the environment looking tidy. This, of course, fits with of our behaviour expectations and values of Pride, Responsibility, Excellence and Respect.
- Free sanitary health products are available in selected toilets, courtesy of the Department of Health, and these dispensers have been installed.
- Last Wednesday 24 May we conducted our annual Twilight tour, which was attended by several families and a potential 80+ students. Congratulations to all staff who organised this event. I was nice to see our Regional Director, Mr Matt Osborne, in attendance who was quite impressed with the innovative approach and the dedication of our staff. Well done to all!
- You may be aware that the new stage has been constructed and should be completed for 14 June. This has replaced the rickety old stage that we considered to be unsafe. The new stage will provide a safe and larger performance space for our students and will allow for wheelchair access. I would like to acknowledge our previous P&C for their hard work in raising much needed funds to support this work, and of course thank the new P&C for their ongoing support of the College.
- On 14 June – coincidentally- we will have our very first Arts Showcase from 6pm to 8pm. There has been significant interest so far in this event… and what a fantastic way to launch our new stage area! Congratulations to our Program Coordinator, Harley Brooke, and his team in bringing this event together. We hope to see you there.
- In Week 3 of this term the staff held a common staff meeting with the staff of Sevenoaks Senior College to explore how we can work together for the benefit of students transitioning in Year 10. This was also an opportunity for learning areas to look at the how we can connect the expectations of each pathway to better suit the needs and aspirations of students. Dr Karen Read and I now meet regularly to plan the way forward. It was great to bring the two staff groups together after many years of thinking about the possibility!
- We are looking at rebranding our College logo to become a more modern, relevant image that reflects our College in 21st Century. Watch this space for information about a design competition!